The God

The God

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Time passes

2007 is halfway done! I can't believe it....it seems like time passes so much faster the older I get....in the blink of an eye 6 months pass. I've spent some time the last few days reflecting on the past 6 months. Here are some bullet points of my year so far:

  • I have lost a friend and valued employee. Just as I seem to be getting over the loss, something happens to remind me. Last week, I met with an advisee who did not know of Beverly's passing so I had to go through the story with him...re-opening some almost closed wounds.
  • I have gone through the process of hiring a new assistant director and, thankfully, have found a wonderful replacement for Beverly.
  • I have fallen in love...sure it's with someone I can never have...but it's still love. This seems to be a regular thing for me...falling for the unattainable!....I should find out what is behind that!
  • I have started a new leg of my spiritual journey which is leading me to some amazing discoveries of self and deeper understandings of people and events. Great Spirit leads me where I"m supposed to go, not necessarily where I want to go so this new journey has brought about a renewed joy in my deepest beliefs. Great Spirit is leading me down a winding path and around ever turn, a new vision...sometimes scary...sometimes beautiful...but always wondrous!
  • I celebrated the summer solstice in solitude on the beach in Kitty Hawk, NC. What joy it was to watch the sun rise over the ocean!
  • I spent time with one of my favorite people in the world before she left for her new job in Houston Texas! I'm so very proud of her and wish her only the best. Maureen...you'll make a fine college president. I only wish it were closer to home!
  • I have faced the fear of losing my father and realized that as much as I do not get along with my relatives, I'm not ready to say goodbye to them all. It has been a tumultous two years for me on the relative front...having lost a grandfather that never took the time to know me and, for my own sake and sanity, cutting off ties to relatives that are unhealthy for me to be around.
  • I have solidified my true family and, hopefully, will be adding a new member soon!

All in all....while not my best year so far....there's always tomorrow!

1 comment:

m said...

This has been such a powerful year for you, and as you note, it's only half over. As you have told me, there IS something afoot in the cosmos.

I am proud of you, Doug. You have grown and changed and become a man I much admire in the time I have known you. I was honored to be able to spend the time together before I left Virginia, and I'll never be able to thank you enough for letting me see your world through your eyes.

I miss you.

The Goddess

The Goddess

DECLARATION OF THE FOUR SACRED THINGS

The earth is a living, conscious being. In company with cultures of many different times and places, we name these things as sacred: air, fire, water, and earth.

Whether we see them as the breath, energy, blood, and body of the Mother, or as the blessed gifts of a Creator, or as symbols of the interconnected systems that sustain life, we know that nothing can live without them.

To call these things sacred is to say that they have a value beyond their usefulness for human ends, that they themselves become the standards by which our acts, our economics, our laws and our purposes must be judged. No one has the right to appropriate them or profit from them at the expense of others. Any government that fails to protect them forfeits its legitimacy.

All people, all living things, are part of the earth life, and so are sacred. No one of us stands higher or lower than any other. Only justice can assure balance: only ecological balance can sustain freedom. Only in freedom can that fifth sacred thing we call spirti flourish in its full diversity.

To honor the sacred is to create conditions in which nourishment, sustenance, habitat, knowledge, freedom, and beauty can thrive. To honor the sacred is to make love possible.

To this we dedicate our curiosity, our will, our courage, our silences, and our voices. To this we dedicate our lives.

Taken from The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk