The God

The God

Friday, November 16, 2007

Ah well....the best of intentions and all

It's been a while since I posted last and I didn't plan on such a long interval between posts...but...we don't always get to do what we plan. This semester has had a lot of time consuming projects for my class and for whatever reason since this time change, I'm all messed up.....waking up early early early and falling asleep shortly after getting home from work. I must take some time to ground myself this weekend and try to revive my energy. I'll let you know how that goes.

You'll notice I now have the trailer for "The Golden Compass" on this page. I'm looking forward to this movie as I'm a fan of the books. (and if I may queen out a bit right now...doesn't Nicole Kidman look FABULOUS???)

I was in another office on my campus today and heard someone tell someone else NOT to go see this movie. I asked why and the answer I got was that "it's warped and the writer is trying to kill god in the minds of children." OK, yes the author of the books is an atheist, so what? It's still a damned good fantasy trilogy that has a lot of action and suspense, and talking polar bears!?!?!

Why is it that some people cannot watch a movie for the pure enjoyment of it? Why do they have to see it as (and this is an exact quote) "trying to warp the minds of our children?" I'm Pagan/Wiccan and if I avoided movies that have christian undertones or messages, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the likes of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" (Which I'm not convinced was ever written as the epitome of christian symbolism....CS Lewis wrote an epic series and later, people claimed it was more than he meant it to be.) I say "Lighten the fuck up and have some fun!" Don't we all, occasionally, need a break from the harsh reality of the world today and just escape into some fantastic story?

Oh...and of course the catholic church is calling for a boycott of the movie...SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE! What are they afraid of?

OK...I'm stepping down off my soap box for now....oh wait...before I do....Will any of YOU be seeing this movie? What are your thoughts?

OK...I'm down now!

2 comments:

m said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21595083/

Love you!

m said...

Will you ever blog again???? Love you and miss you.

The Goddess

The Goddess

DECLARATION OF THE FOUR SACRED THINGS

The earth is a living, conscious being. In company with cultures of many different times and places, we name these things as sacred: air, fire, water, and earth.

Whether we see them as the breath, energy, blood, and body of the Mother, or as the blessed gifts of a Creator, or as symbols of the interconnected systems that sustain life, we know that nothing can live without them.

To call these things sacred is to say that they have a value beyond their usefulness for human ends, that they themselves become the standards by which our acts, our economics, our laws and our purposes must be judged. No one has the right to appropriate them or profit from them at the expense of others. Any government that fails to protect them forfeits its legitimacy.

All people, all living things, are part of the earth life, and so are sacred. No one of us stands higher or lower than any other. Only justice can assure balance: only ecological balance can sustain freedom. Only in freedom can that fifth sacred thing we call spirti flourish in its full diversity.

To honor the sacred is to create conditions in which nourishment, sustenance, habitat, knowledge, freedom, and beauty can thrive. To honor the sacred is to make love possible.

To this we dedicate our curiosity, our will, our courage, our silences, and our voices. To this we dedicate our lives.

Taken from The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk