The God

The God

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Loss

Last week, my assistant director, my right hand, my friend Beverly passed away unexpectedly. It has given me great comfort to know that she passed peacefully in her sleep and did not feel pain. Her faith in God has also provided comfort. Many people question my beliefs simply because I am not a Christian. They do not realize that just because I do not go to church and I don't call God by the same name that they do, that doesn't mean I do not believe. Beverly has begun the next part of her incredible journey and, as painful as it is, those of us who knew her must move on. I know that, for myself, it will be a long time before I'm ready to move on. Selfish as it may sound, I'm not quite ready to say good-bye. I cherish the last week that Beverly and I had working together. We laughed and cut up, enjoying the work and the fellowship that working side by side in a small office affords.
Beverly knew that how much I respected, relied on, and cared for her. However, in these past few days, I've spent a great deal of time reflecting on my life and know that some changes are needed. The first, and perhaps, most important is that I will not take for granted those people I care for. I will not assume that they know how I feel about them. I will tell them and show them in as many ways as I can.
Please take the time to tell those people that you care for in your own lives how important they are to you. You never know when the next joke or hug or smile will be the last.

"Into The West"
by Annie Lennox

Lay down

Your sweet and weary head

Night is falling

You’ve come to journey's end

Sleep now

And dream of the ones who came before

They are calling

From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?

What are these tears upon your face?

Soon you will see

All of your fears will pass away

Safe in my arms

You're only sleeping

What can you see

On the horizon?

Why do the white gulls call?

Across the sea

A pale moon rises

The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn

To silver glass

A light on the water

All souls pass

Hope fades

Into the world of night

Through shadows falling

Out of memory and time

Don't say: «We have come now to the end»

White shores are calling

You and I will meet again

And you'll be here in my arms

Just sleeping

And all will turn

To silver glass

A light on the water

Grey ships pass

Into the West

3 comments:

m said...

Interesting song you chose. And interesting that this post is the Tuesday before St. Pat's, America's recognition of my people.

Going "into the west" is a concept deeply rooted in the Irish psyche--an archetype, I'd say. If you have a chance this weekend rent the movie "Into the West" with Ellen Barkin and Gabriel Byrne. It is a fascinating exploration of death and Irish pagan traditions.

Somehow that seems appropriate now.

Love you.

SpiritualJourneyMan said...

Honestly...I had never put together the song and anything Irish. It's very cool to know that there is a connection though.

Into The West was featured in the closing credits of LOTR: Return of the King. It was,I thought, simply about the Elven trek out of Middle-Earth. Gandalf spoke of the far distant shore as the next part of the journey...death isn't the end but the beginning of something else.

I'll check out that movie.

Love you too!

D.

Greg said...

Doug,

I will take this time to say "thank you" for being you. Thank you for all the extra miles you have traveled in order to assist, not only me, but so many other students. I am grateful for you, and I want you to know.

I personally believe that every human being is a beloved child of the Holy, no matter what one chooses to call the Holy. It is absurd to quarrel over mere semantics. This thing we call life is too fragile and too short to waste time bickering over trivial matters. I, for one, do not disount your spirituality simply because it may differ from some mainstream system of viewing God and/or the world.

We are enriched through our experience in diversity.

Warm thoughts to you my friend,

Greg

The Goddess

The Goddess

DECLARATION OF THE FOUR SACRED THINGS

The earth is a living, conscious being. In company with cultures of many different times and places, we name these things as sacred: air, fire, water, and earth.

Whether we see them as the breath, energy, blood, and body of the Mother, or as the blessed gifts of a Creator, or as symbols of the interconnected systems that sustain life, we know that nothing can live without them.

To call these things sacred is to say that they have a value beyond their usefulness for human ends, that they themselves become the standards by which our acts, our economics, our laws and our purposes must be judged. No one has the right to appropriate them or profit from them at the expense of others. Any government that fails to protect them forfeits its legitimacy.

All people, all living things, are part of the earth life, and so are sacred. No one of us stands higher or lower than any other. Only justice can assure balance: only ecological balance can sustain freedom. Only in freedom can that fifth sacred thing we call spirti flourish in its full diversity.

To honor the sacred is to create conditions in which nourishment, sustenance, habitat, knowledge, freedom, and beauty can thrive. To honor the sacred is to make love possible.

To this we dedicate our curiosity, our will, our courage, our silences, and our voices. To this we dedicate our lives.

Taken from The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk